Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Top Picks?

I realized just now, I never posted what MY top picks for hotel rooms at Comic-Con are!

And since I am currently sitting at home, biting my nails waiting for my confirmation e-mail, I figured I might give you my top choices (lets see how close I am to the norms?):

note; I omitted the words "hotel" and "San Diego" where ever possible because i hope to the gods that you know where this thing is being held.

1. Hilton Gaslamp Quarter
2. Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
3. Omni
4. Horton Grand
5. Westin Gaslamp Quarter
6. Embassy Suites San Diego Bay
7. Bristol
8. Manchester Grand Hyatt
9. Westin
10. The Sofia
11. Hampton Inn Downtown
12. Best Western Bayside
13. The Westgate
14. Marriott Marquis & Marina
15. Hilton Bayfront
16. Hard Rock
17. Andaz

So thats 17 choices, and I included the option of the closest hotel and to be put on the wait-list for Downtown hotels if none of these are available.

Personally, while I want to be as near the action as possible, the prospect of the lines and traffic and the sheer EXPENSE of being at the Marriott Marina/Hilton Bayfront/Hard Rock are what made me put them low on my list. I will not have more than 1 or 2 people in my room with me (most likely just one) and that means my costs will be quite astronomical without some awesome budgeting. I want to get as much out of my room space and hotel as possible while still spending most of my money and time at the Convention and in the snazzy parties.

The two Gaslamp Quarter hotels, run by Marriott and Hilton respectively are ideal for anyone wanting the best of Comic-Con, with just a little bit of the rest of the world tucked in. Near by is tons of great restaurants (read; expensive) and you are barely a block or two away from the convention space (read; easy transit). While both require you to pay for parking (something one of my party is wanting to utilize) they differ in that the Hilton (my top choice) is the only hotel thats a Hilton I've seen that offers complimentary internet access. While this may change, or may be inaccurate the prices here aren't that bad and the location is central to a lot of the restaurants I have researched and found to be good. Also, the closeness to the Hard Rock allows me to attempt to get into those ultra exclusive parties for the convention - something I really want to try and do!

So what are your top picks for Comic-Con? Are you a loyalist to any Hotel? What are your experiences in the area?

No comments:

Post a Comment